Captain Thomas Purife (Purifoy) was the original owner of the tract containing what became known as the Poole Plantation, obtaining the land from the Crown in 1631. By the late seventeenth century, the Hollier Family owned four hundred acres of the tract. Simon Hollier, who inherited the property in 1695 was a prominent citizen who served as the county burgess from 1727 to 1734 and was also a justice, captain of the militia, and sheriff. At his death in 1747, Simon owned forty-seven slaves, some of which may have worked outside of the plantation. Simon's son, Simon III, was selected for the County's Revolutionary committee and contributed materially to the war effort. Simon's wife, Ann, and son, Simon IV inherited the plantation in a 1/3 - 2/3 split. Ann remarried and is referred to as Ann Hollier Booker in 1795. The two daughters of Simon IV are buried in a cemetery identified in the early 1800s as Old Negro Graveyard Point. It was a small cemetery near Harris Avenue and McNally Street in the LTA area. The Hollier girl's markers are the only two remaining. Records from St. John's Episcopal Church in Hampton indicate that Margaret Virginia Poole was buried in October 1900 in the "Old Hollier Burying Ground." Archaeological work indicates the presence of at least one unmarked grave.
From the 1770s through the antebellum period, the dwelling complex may have been near the Lamington Plantation house. The property stayed in the Hollier Family until 1898, but beginning in 1835 was referred to in tax records as Hollier alias Poole, reflecting the marriage of Harriet Hollier to Howard Poole. The Poole Plantation was probably built abt 1828.
After the Civil War ended the Poole family was forced to take out loans against the tract to pay debt. The war resulted in financial hardship for the family and in 1898 Harriet Poole, a descendent of the Hollier family, defaulted on a loan and lost her property. In several records, the Poole property was called Twin Groves.
The estate was purchased by John Kimberly during the early twentieth century and was later purchased by the federal government for inclusion in Langley Field.