Kings Road

From NasaCRgis

Jump to: navigation, search
1976- Kings Road Excavations - large(3).jpg
Back Arrow.jpg Back To Individual Properties


Contents

[top] History

The Kings Road Site, also known as "Old Kings Road" or "Kings Highway" is located near Building 1212C and extends to the wooded area behind Building 1251. The site is a portion of an old colonial road in use as early as the 1730's which connected Hampton and Yorktown. Archaeological excavations were performed at the site in 1976 by the Langley Research Center Historical and Archaeological Society (LRCHAS) in advance of a project to construct a new Refuse-Fired Steam Generating Facility within a portion of the site. As a result of addtional archaeological survey work performed in the 1995 by Gray & Pape, the site was found to be potentially eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places and is identified as Virginia Department of Historic Resources property number 44HT0082.

[top] Photos

1976 Kings Road Excavation Site1976 Kings Road Excavation Site1976 Kings Road Excavation Site1976 Kings Road Excavation1976 Kings Road Excavation1976 Kings Road Excavation1976 Kings Road Excavation1976 Kings Road Excavation1976 Kings Road Excavation

[top] Documents

Virginia Landmarks Letter Kings Road - Letter (no date) approving construction with mitigation

1976 Dalton to Farmer - 1976-04-07 Letter to Dr. Farmer for National Transonic Facility and Refuge Steam Plant Construction Projects

1976 Farmer to Swisher - 1976-06-30 Proposal for archaeological survey from Frank Farmer to Robert Swisher, Virginia Landmarks Commission

1976 Kings Road Survey Results - 1976-11-17 Report from James Parker, Archaeological Consultant.

1977 McCartney to Goble - 1977-07-08 Letter from Martha McCartney Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission, to Ross Goble, Chief, Research Facilities

1976 Field Notes From Kings Road Survey

Kings Road Survey Map - Location map and dig elevations

Views
Personal tools
Navigation