From NasaCRgis

Jump to: navigation, search
The H. Weston Lumber Company
Multimedia.jpg Back To Multimedia


[top] History

Logtown was one of several towns once located within the acoustic buffer zone of the Stennis Space Center. It stood along the banks of the Pearl River, and had been the site of a town since pre-contact times. It was formerly known as Cabanage Latanier, roughly meaning “palmetto camp.” The early history of Europeans in the area is somewhat complicated, but the earliest important owner of what would become Logtown was Jean Baptiste Rousseve, who was granted 1000 arpens in the area in 1788 and built a house at what would be Logtown. Rousseve transferred his claim to Joseph Challon in 1805, and the Challon name was associated with the area well into the 20th century. The town was renamed Logtown sometime in the 19th century, as the timber industry built the town into a major population center.

The town’s economy relied largely on logging and shipping, with the first mill supposedly built in 1845 by E. G. Goddard of Michigan. In 1889, Henry Weston founded the H. Weston Lumber Company, a massive undertaking which transformed Logtown into one of the largest lumbering centers in the United States. This mill employed 1,200 men, and had over 20 barges and 4 two-masted schooners. At its peak, Logtown had approximately 3,000 residents, most associated with the lumber business.

The company operated in Logtown until 1930, by which time the supply of merchantable timber had been exhausted. The town rapidly declined in population and industrial importance. By 1961, when the area was being considered by NASA for the development of an engine test facility, there were only 250 residents.

Other towns once located in what is now the SSC facility include Gainesville, once the county seat, Napoleon, The Point, Santa Rosa, Westonia, and Dillville.

Logtown’s relatively large peak population means that it would have had quite a number of buildings at one time. A few which are known from photographs or documentary records include a bank, hotel, swimming pool, post office, ice factory, grade school, grocery, two churches, a Masonic Lodge, and, of course, saw mills.

It was at the Logtown School Athletic Field in 1961 that Senator John C. Stennis addressed some 1,500 people of the area to explain the plans to develop the new NASA facility. The senator was instrumental through this transitional period in securing funding for the relocation of families and the development of the center, of which he was a staunch supporter from the beginning.

[top] Logtown Families

Logtown Families description under construction. Please note that the names associated with the homes were the owner at the time NASA purchased the land.

[top] Photos

[top] H. Weston Lumber Company

Workers near the H. Weston Lumber Company commissary

[top] Pearl River Marina in Logtown


[top] Other Business and Industry

[top] Homes

[top] Churches and Public Buildings

1922 Logtown School

[top] Post Office/Hancock Bank

[top] Current Photos

[top] Miscellaneous

[top] Documents

1901 Charley H. Miller patent for a ventilator for buildings

1902 John W. McCracken patent for a non-refillable bottle

1913 Henry W. Brown patent for a train-mounted mail bag catching and delivering apparatus

1913 William R. Bell patent for a railway construction-car, for laying and removing track

1915 John R. Formby patent for a nut-lock

1997 Sea Coast Echo article on Osbourn family of Logtown

1997 Herring - Way Station to Space: A History of the John C. Stennis Space Center

1998 Giardino, Hall, and Genin - Archaeological Survey of the Logtown Tract

2010 Callaway - Technological Development in Sawmills and Lumbering along the Pearl River

2010 Callaway - Henry Weston and the H. Weston Lumber Company

[top] Links

Stennis Image Retrieval System

Hancock County Historical Society

Lobolly Writer's House

Personal tools