Morale Activities Building

From NasaCRgis

Jump to: navigation, search
Building 1222
Building 1222

Center: Langley Research Center
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Year Built: 1946
Historic Eligibility: National Register Eligible
Important Tests:


Back Arrow.jpg Back To Property Index

Contents

[top] History

What was long known as the H.J. Reid Conference Center was built in 1946. Funding of $111,330 had transferred from the Federal Works Agency in 1945 for NACA project number 272. C.W. Lockwood completed the work in August 1946. At that time, it was known as the Morale Activities Building. Subsequent names included the Employees Activities Conference Center, the Recreation Center, and the Activities Concession Facility.

The new facility was built on the old Cloverdale Plantation Site. In 1942, National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) obtained the Cloverdale tract from the Colliers, and the house was used for an activities center until dismantled in 1955. The land making up the Collier estate now remains a part of the Langley Field. Artifacts recovered prior to the 1993 construction of the east addition dated from the late 18th to the early 20th century.

The new activities center included a dining area with kitchen and small bar, a gymnasium and stage, and a meeting room. Restrooms and showers were in the basement under the stage, but this area was reserved for whites as the colored restrooms were to the sides of the stage (see 1947 floor plan). The bar was remodeled in late 1954 and in 1955 was described as 4 feet high, 21 feet long, and with a bright red front (see January 1955 Air Scoop). Employees was invited to submit designs for the valence with the best design winning a $25 savings bond.

Reid Plaque
There was a major renovation of the building in the 1980s. Besides the desegregation of restrooms, the dining area was revamped to include a larger bar area. It is perhaps at this time that 'Afterburners' was born. The 1988 floor plan is the first found in LaRC's real property records that refers to the former dining room as a bar.

In the fall of 2014, all public functions of this building moved to the new Integrated Engineering Services Building (2102), which includes the new H.J. Reid Conference Auditorium. In 2015, the old activities and conference center (1222) was converted to an autonomy lab and used for test flying UAVs. In 2018, the autonomy lab was re-located to the newly renovated Building 1230 and Building 1222 was demolished.

[top] Photos

1944 Proposal1945 Proposal1945 AerialApril 1946 (from Air Scoop)September 1946(from Air Scoop)1947 Floor Plan1949 #4 adjacent to #30 (Cloverdale)1949 Cloverdale and Reid Center1952 Aerial1965 Elevation1965 Floor Plan1965 Elevation19681968 Awards Ceremony Description1972197819841995 Aerial1995 Aerial


East Addition

1222Addition.jpg1222Trees.jpgConcept 1Concept 1Concept 1Concept 1Concept 2

Demolition

2018 Demolition2018 Post Demolition2018 Post Demolition

[top] Documents

Memo on Funding Source

Original Ledger

Real Property Voucher

1988 Proposal

1988 CoF Proposal

Revised Proposal

1993 Archaeological Survey for Addition


2007 Voucher Showing Previous Names

Views
Personal tools
Navigation