Westonia

From NasaCRgis

Jump to: navigation, search
Westonia School in 1905, with teacher Miss Esta LaHatte
Multimedia.jpg Back To Multimedia

Contents

[top] History

This sawmill and railroad town, named for Horatio Weston, was some distance from the Pearl River just east of Logtown. It was a small settlement highly devoted to the lumber industry, and most of its residents were almost certainly involved with lumbering in some way. The original settlement at Westonia was built along the H. Weston Lumber Company railroad to repair train engines and flat cars. The town had churches, stores, a single hotel, a small school, and two artesian wells used to provide water for steam engines.

Dunbar Rowland described Westonia in 1907 as "a post-village in Hancock county, about 17 miles northwest of Bay St. Louis, the county seat. It is on the H. Weston Lumber Co.’s R. R. extending from Pearl river to Caesar, with a branch road running to Pickayune (sic). The R. R. Co’s shops are located at Westonia." In later years the town had no post office, and mail came through Logtown.

Westonia was hit hard by the depression, and all the more so because the main employer in the region, the H. Weston Lumber Company, had closed in 1930. As a result, the town was practically nonexistent in 1963 when the area was being considered by NASA for the development of an engine test facility.

In the 1960's, the area that was considered to be Westonia appears to have been the remains of old businesses. Most of these businesses were service stations. Some of these service stations were being used as nightclubs and others were converted into homes.

Other towns which once stood on what is now the Stennis Space Center facility include Gainesville, once the county seat, Logtown, The Point, Napoleon, Santa Rosa, and Dillville.

[top] People of Westonia

Stephens

Shubert-Ladner


[top] Homes

[top] Dawsey Shubert Ladner Home

This property consisted of 28 acres along State Highway 43 (Now 607), near the intersection with Highway 604. This was a home site as well as the location of a Night Club known locally as the Buffer Club. The owners were renting the Buffer Club to a Mrs. Lois Garcia who was operating it. The Buffer Club building was converted from a gasoline service station.

[top] Businesses

[top] Documents

1907 Slaydon Murphy patent for a journal-box, the housing over the wheel bearing of a rail car

1912 John Armstrong Orr patent for a buggy-top

1997 Herring - Way Station to Space: A History of the John C. Stennis Space Center

2010 Callaway - Technological Development in Sawmills and Lumbering along the Pearl River

[top] Links

Hancock County Historical Society

Views
Personal tools
Navigation